Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Heroes

I've been watching Heroes these day.
There were two actors who played roles as Japanese characters.
When I first watched Heroes, I thought these actors played unordinary Japanese.

I thought Hiro Nakamura, who was played by Mashi Oka, behaved and spoke like a child. I have never seen a businessman who yells "Yatta-!" out in the streets.



Ando Masahashi, who was played by James Kyson Lee, speaks Japanese fluently, but I noticed immediately that he is not a native Japanese speaker. His role is a Japanese character, but irony is that he is Korean. I was very surprised to find out that he was born in Korea and grew up in New York. He only learned Japanese for a semester in college. How does he speak Japanese so fluently?



Japanese characters in Heroes are not your typical Japanese people, but that makes the drama more entertaining.







 Today's Vocabulary
・ play a role : 役を演じる
・ out in the streets : 街中で
・ irony : noun / 皮肉
  ex) The irony is that since Ichiro joined the Major Leagues, we have been able to see his progress. 皮肉にも、私達はイチローがメジャーリーグに行ってから彼の活躍が見られるようになったのです。
・ entertaining : adjective / 楽しませる
  ex) This game is not only entertaining but also educational. このゲームは面白いだけでなく、教育的です。

No comments:

Post a Comment