Monday, January 9, 2012

Headed toward Flagstaff ~ Winter Vacation Day 2

On December 30th, we headed toward Flagstaff to go to Grand Canyon on the next day.
It was a long drive. After passing through Riverside, most of the scenery was desert. I felt like the desert goes on forever...


We periodically got rest during our drive.



I had never seen this Gas station in my town.

When we got the motel, it was almost dusk.

After checking in at the motel, we went to Walmart to get some stuff. In my town, there is no super Walmart. This was the biggest Walmart I had ever seen. I was excited!


This Walmart seemed pretty new and clean.

Then, we went to a Mexican restaurant.

Los Altenos


I was surprised to see that everything on the menu was cheaper than restaurants in my town.

We had a burrito, a quesadilla and french fries with salsa. They were all good! It was my first time to have a quesadilla!
My friend had never had Mexican food before this trip. And I didn't know she couldn't eat spicy food at all! She removed jalapenos and only ate non-spicy part of the dish.
Oh, I was sorry for her. If I had only known that she could not eat spicy food then we probably would have went to a different diner.

Then, we went back the motel. Our room was non-smoking room, but it still smelled like cigarettes anyways, the room was clean though. And also Internet access was unstable. That's a big problem for me because I wanted to update my blog. Finally I used the internet near the lobby of the motel where internet connection was more stable. :)
Considering that the accommodation fee was very cheap, all things were fine. :)





 Today's Vocabulary
・ head toward : ~に向かう、~に向かって進む
  ex) head toward the lake : 湖に向かって進む
  ex) head toward recovery : 回復へ向かう
  ex) head toward the goal : ゴールに向かう
・ pass through : phrasal verb : 通過する
  ex) pass through a curve : カーブを通過する
  ex) pass through a gate : 門を通り抜ける
・ go on forever : いつまでも続く、きりがない
  ex) None of us goes on forever. 人の命には限りがある。
  ex) She could go on forever. 彼女(の話)はきりがない。
  ex) The sky goes on forever. 空はどこまでも果てしなく広がっている。
・ dusk : noun / 夕暮れ
  ex) from dawn to dusk : 明け方から夕暮れまで
  ex) I worked from dawn to dusk. : 夜明けから夕暮れまで働きました。
・ be surprised to see : ~を見て驚く
・ everything on the menu : メニューに載っている全ての料理
  ex) Everything on the menu looks good. メニューにのっているのはどれも美味しそうですね。
・ part of : ~の一部
・ accommodation fee : 宿泊費

No comments:

Post a Comment