Thursday, February 16, 2012

I Never Had a Chance

After taking the class, I went to a cafe to meet my friend for Thursday conversation session.
I told her that I got my ears pierced! She said that she did it when graduating from college.
I haven't had a chance to pierce my ears before moving to the U.S. Actually, I could have done it if I really wanted to do so. When I was in high school, students were not allowed to have piercings. I didn't want to have piercings at the time because I didn't want to hurt my body and was also scared. After graduating from the high school, I went to a nursing school. Students were also not allowed to wear earrings in school and hospital, but we were allowed to wear them on our days off. My roommate in the dormitory got her ears pierced, but her ears got infected. That looked painful, and I thought piercing was a lot of work. Then, I became a nurse. In my hospital, we were not allowed to wear earrings because having earrings might hurt patients when moving or carrying them. And also some elderly patients don't like piercings because person with piercings portray delinquency. Long time ago, Japanese people valued our bodies because our bodies are given from our parents, and people thought that we shouldn't hurt our bodies intentionally. Nowadays, having piercings is very common for women in Japan, but some are still hesitant.

I sanitize my ears three times a day from last Sunday. So far, my ears are still doing well. :) I have to continue this for 5 more weeks. :( Having piercing isn't easy, is it? But I'm looking forward to wearing any earrings in the near future! :) I can't wait!


After our session, I stayed at the cafe and studied for 3 hours having coffee! Good job me! ;)





 Today's Vocabulary
・ portray : verb / 表現する、~がどういう人物か言う
・ delinquency : noun / 非行、義務の不履行  ( Pronunciation is dili'ŋkwənsi )
  ex) juvenile delinquency : 少年非行
  ex) delinquency payment : 滞納
・ intentionally : adverb / 意図的に、わざと、故意に
・ hesitant : adjective / 嫌気の、ためらって、気乗りしない ( Pronunciation is he'zitənt )
  ex) reply in a hesitant voice : 気乗りしない声で返事する

No comments:

Post a Comment