Monday, March 12, 2012

The First Anniversary

Yesterday was the first anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake.

A year ago,I knew that the huge earthquakes hit Northern Japan through facebook. Then, I watched news of the earthquake footages. Many Japanese people were swept up by the tsunami. I couldn't believe that, and I felt terrible. I was watching the news all day long, and I was feeling very sad and was depressed. Many victims lost their families, got injuries, were starving and were freezing because there weren't enough food, blankets and any things. I felt very powerless because I couldn't help the victim of the earthquake. I was thinking about what I could do for them. Then, my husband and  I donated money to Japanese Red Cross.
What I was glad was that many people tried to help the victims of the earthquakes. I saw donation boxes at Starbucks, restaurants, supermarkets, school and just about everywhere I went. My friends, my teachers and people who I never met before expressed their heartfelt sympathy. Many countries sent relief funds and support to Japan. I appreciate all the people who made actions on this account.

15,846 people were killed by earthquakes and tsunamis, and 3,320 people were still missing. Many victims in Japan lost their families and their home. I felt really terrible and I thought it must not happen again. We have to learn from this terrible earthquake about not to underestimate natural disasters, and what we should do to prevent potential earthquake damages.

There are still many problems of the earthquake effect, but Japan has been recovering gradually.
You can see how Japan has rebuilt since the earthquake and tsunami by National Post.





Photo from National Post

Photo from National Post



photo from National Post






 Today's Vocabulary
・ through : preposition / ~を通じて、~を経て
・ footage : noun / 映像、ビデオ
・ sweep up : 掃き掃除をする
・ be swep up by the tsunami : 津波に流される
・ be freezing : ひどく寒い、凍えるほどの
  ex) It's freezing today. : 今日は凍えそうに寒いね。
  ex) I'm freezing to death right now. : 今寒くて死にそうです。

・ feel powerless : 無力感を味わう、無力だと感じる
・ donation box : 募金箱
・ just about everywhere : そこら中
・ heartfelt sympathy : 心からの同情
・ express one's heartfelt sympathy : 心からお見舞いの言葉を述べる
・ relief fund : 救済資金
  ex) disaster relief fund : 災害救援資金
  ex) raise a relief fund : 救済資金を集める
・ on this account : このような理由により、このような訳で
・ underestimate : verb / 甘く見る、過小評価する、見くびる、低く見積もる
  ex) Don't underestimate nature. : 自然を侮るべからず。
  ex) You've underestimated the problem you have. : 君は、自分が抱える問題を軽視してきた。

・ potential damage : 予想される被害
・ effect : noun / 影響
・ gradually : adverb / だんだんと、徐々に  (Pronunciation is græ'ʤuəli )
・ rebuild : verb / 再建する

No comments:

Post a Comment