Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Number of Nurses in Japan Is One Fifth of the Nurses the U.S.

In Japan, I worked as a nurse for 8 years. Working as a nurse was very hard. I left my home around 6 am, and went back home around 10 pm. Sometimes, I went to home around 12 am. I had to work 6 days a week. I had a lot of responsibilities. I really enjoyed my job and was proud of my job, but also I was very tired. Number of nurses in Japan is one fifth of the nurses the U.S. So, nurses in Japan are always busy!
When my husband decided to move to the U.S., I thought that I will never work as a nurse again. It's because I couldn't speak English at all. I learned English when I was in grade school for 6 years. But I did not like English subject, and my English score was always low. At the time, I didn't understand why I had to study English because I was not going abroad, and I was going to live in Japan forever. But after graduating school, I traveled abroad, and I realized I should have studied English more seriously.
Before I moved to the U.S., I didn't study English for almost 12 years. I couldn't speak, read or write English at all. When I saw advertisement and mail, I didn't understand anything. I thought living in the U.S. was not easy. So, I couldn't imagine to work as a nurse again. I know communication is one of the most important thing as a nurse. If I can't communicate properly, it may lead to big troubles.
After moving to the U.S., I went to ESL school. I started studying at beginning level at my ESL school. It was very hard for me. I couldn't understand what my teachers and classmates were saying. Then, I studied very hard even though I did not enjoy studying English. My English has improved, and I thought that I'd like to work again if I could. So I decided to study nursing.
Now, I enjoy reading blogs and magazines in English, watching youtube in English and searching something in English! I can do many things which I couldn't do before. I resisted English before, but now I can enjoy my study! That's a big change for me!
My English is still not good enough, but I'd like to keep up my studies!






Today's Vocabulary
・ lead to : ~につながる、結果として~に導く、結局~となる、~を引き起こす、~をもたらす

No comments:

Post a Comment