Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Difference Between Former and Old

Today was the last day of spring semester at my college. I took my tutoring. I asked my tutor how to differentiate between "former" and "old". I know both meaning, but I sometimes confuse the two.

"former"
・ my former teacher
・ my former co-worker (ex co-worker)
・ a former owner of my car
・ the former president of the U.S.

"old"
・ my old textbook
・ my old computer
・ an old student / an former student
・ my old friend (know for long time) / my former friend (not my friend anymore)
・ my old school / my former school

After class, my husband and I went to see our dentist. I have bleached my teeth at home five times, but the color of my teeth haven't changed dramatically. My dentist told me I should bleach at least 9 more times in order to get the best result. Frankly, I don't want to bleach my teeth anymore because bleaching irritates my gums. He told me I should use less amount of bleach to avoid gum irritation. I will try bleaching 9 more times to get whiter teeth.






 Today's Vocabulary
・ differentiate : verb / ~を識別する、差別化する、~に違いを付ける (Pronunciation is di`fəre'nʃie`it)
・ irritate : verb / 刺激する、イライラさせる、ヒリヒリさせる


No comments:

Post a Comment