Saturday, July 14, 2012

Pungent Smell near Our Complex

This evening, I went shopping. I also left all my windows open when I left home because it was very hot today. When I came back home, I noticed pungent smell near our complex. I immediately thought the smell was from a skunk because I had seen skunk there before. Our home is on second floor, and our entrance is near the stairs. I was not able to reach to the stairs because of this odor. I avoided the stairs and used another stairs to go the 2nd floor. However, as we got closer to our door, the stench got stronger and stronger. I covered my nose with my scarf. The odor smelled like kerosene, petroleum, propane and sulfur. When I went to inside my home, I was relieved at first but I soon realized that the stench has filled our apartment. I immediately closed all the windows and run all the fans. I had never imagined this situation. I should have considered this when I had seen a skunk there previously. I am guessing that our next door neighbor's dog, that stays out in their veranda, barked at a skunk. And maybe the skunk sprayed out its odor to the dog. I am not sure but it's possible. Next time, when I leave my home at evening and night, I must close all windows to prevent this from happening again.

It might be the culprit of smelly odor!






 Today's Vocabulary
・ pungent smell : 鼻に付く臭い (Pronunciation is pʌ'ndʒənt)
・ stench : noun / 悪臭
・ kerosene : noun / 灯油  (Pronunciation is ke'rəsi`ːn)
petroleum : noun / 石油  (Pronunciation is pətro'uliəm)
・ sulfur : noun / 硫黄  (Pronunciation is sʌ'lfər)
・ culprit : noun / 犯人、容疑者  (Pronunciation is kʌ'lprit)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment