Friday, August 31, 2012

My Friend Became a Host Mother

Today, I went to cafe to meet my friend. We restarted our weekly meeting to improve our English skill from today. It's been a month since we met last time. She became a host mother this month. She is hosting two elementary school students from Korea. One is her niece, and the other student is her niece's friend. She told me that she really enjoys it because she didn't have an experience to raise girls. She has two sons. She told me raising girls was different from raising boys. She said that even though her sons never ate a lot, the girls ate a lot and were more energetic. She needs to prepare a lot of food, and she has been taking them to pool for swimming everyday. In order to improve the girls' English skill, my friend has been letting them read English books out loud in her car while going somewhere. She sometimes talks with their school counselor, and she often participates in parent meetings. I thought hosting students is a really demanding job. I'm impressed with her hard work. The girls are going to stay in the U.S. for a year. I think they will improve their English skill because they are very young.

After finishing our meeting, I went to school to sign up for tutoring class. This semester, I'm going to take tutoring twice a week. I'm going to be busier, but I think it's important and it'll be good for me. I have many assignments for my writing classes, so I think I will need tutors' help sometimes.






 Today's Vocabulary
・ read a book out loud : 声に出して本を読む
・ parent meeting : 保護者会
・ host students : ホームステイの学生を受け入れる
 

No comments:

Post a Comment