Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The Jolly Oyster

Last Monday, we went to San Buenaventura State Beach to eat fresh oysters. We were not able to find space on streets, so we ended up paying for parking. There were picnic areas around the beach. Many people were eating BBQ and were cycling around.While we were walking around the beach, the delicious smell of BBQ was filling in the park. We got hungry because of the smell.


 We came here because they serve fresh oysters at The Jolly Oyster!

This is their menu. What they are selling are Kumamoto and Pacific oysters, Manila clams, lemon, lime, water, charcoal and shucking knives. So, you should bring other stuff for BBQ or picnic if you want to enjoy more. Each oyster was only $1. That was incredibly reasonable!

My husband asked the cashier how to open oyster sea shells. They nicely showed us how to do it.

We bought dozen oysters and a lime.

These oysters were very fresh! We enjoyed delicious raw oysters. It was my first experience to open oyster shells. Even though it was not easy for me, but I was really excited to try out new things. You must need a shucking knife, some towels and gloves to open them. This time, we didn't bring any food. Next time, we'll bring some bread, salad and drink.

After having oysters, we walked around the beach, and we found there was a bulletin board which was showing a rip current. I didn't know what a rip current is, but my husband explained it to me. A rip current leads to death from drowning. While I'm a decent swimmer, I'm afraid to swim in very deep waters, where my feet can't touch the bottom. That's because I'm afraid of drowning. I think I don't have enough knowledge about sea.

I'm glad to know about a rip current and new tips. 







The Jolly Oyster
911 San Pedro St.
Ventura, CA 93001






 Today's Vocabulary
・ shuck : verb / ~の皮をむく、~の殻[さや]を取る、〔衣服を〕脱ぐ、取り除く
  ex) shuck a clam : 貝の殻を取る
・ rip current : リップ・カレント、離岸流、引き波
・ death from drowning : 溺死
・ decent : adjective / 結構[そこそこ]良い[多い]

No comments:

Post a Comment