Wednesday, September 12, 2012

They Are Social Animals

Last week, my ESL teacher showed this youtube video in our class.
Battle at Kruger 

I was really moved by this video because I didn't know that buffalo is a protective animal. The buffaloes fought lions for their little calf, and the calf finally survived! Wikipedia states, "A buffalo herd will respond to the distress call of a captured member and try to rescue it." And also sometimes they kill lions. They are not weaker at all!
 I used to think that buffalo and cow are similar spices, but I learned that buffalo is absolutely a social animal. I know this feeling is silly, but now I feel a little sorry for cow when I eat beef even though I am not vegetarian. We sometimes forget about every creature has their lives, and we should respect and thank them when we eat.






 Today's Vocabulary
・ protective : adjective / 保護する
・ state : verb / 〔公式に〕述べる、はっきり言う、提示する、記載する
・ herd : noun /  〔牛などの大きな動物の〕群れ
・ distress call : 《動物》遭難声
・ distress : adjective / 苦悩している、苦痛を感じている

 

No comments:

Post a Comment