Saturday, October 13, 2012

Amazing Feat

 Recently, I have known Shinya Yamanaka, who has accomplished an amazing feat. He is a Japanese physician and researcher of adult stem cells. In this month, he received the Nobel Prize for the discovery that mature cells can be converted to stem cells. I believe this discovery will effect medical development significantly. Many disorders which have never been cured so far may be cured by this amazing discovery. I've seen the Japanese news, and one member of Yamanaka's research group said that they have already become successful at renewing nerve cells, which was considered to be impossible to regenerate, and cured spinal cord injury in monkeys and mice using iPS cells. I was very impressed. In addition, he said that they were considering to adopt this treatment to human body within five years.
When I heard the name of Shinya Yamanaka, I thought I had heard his name before. I worked at a hospital which was affiliated with the Kyoto University hospital, where Yamanaka works for. I was working as a nurse at VIP ward in the hospital for four years, and I've seen many famous people such as actor, actress, politician, CEO, architect, lawyer, and doctor there. I'm not sure if I've met him there, but I was always inspired by those successful people.






 Today's Vocabulary
・ feat : noun / 〔技能や想像力などに優れた〕妙技、業績
・ adult stem cell : 成体幹細胞
・ mature cell : 成熟(した)細胞
・ convert : verb / 〔性質や形が別のものに〕変形[変質]する、〔機能や用途などが〕変わる、転換する
・ convert to : ~に変換する、~に転換する、~に変える、~に切り替える
・ stem cell : 幹細胞
・ regenerate : verb / 《生物》〔組織などが〕再生する
・ ward : noun / 病棟
・ be inspired by : ~に刺激[触発]される
・ successful people : 成功した人達
 




No comments:

Post a Comment