Saturday, October 6, 2012

Learning English Is Not a Miracle

Yesterday, I went to a cafe to meet my friend as usual Fridays. She told me that she has many writing assignments this semester, but she doesn't like writing. It makes her stressful. She said to me she wouldn't take the same class next semester. She told me that she assumed I was already good at writing when I took that class. She didn't know that I was there like her. I told her that I wasn't able to write well at all over a year ago. I scored 60% on my first essay. Even though I handed in my essay to the teacher and drafted many times, I wasn't able to write well. First semester of that class was very stressful for me. While I was comfortable with grammar and always got good scores, I wasn't able to write at that time. It took many hours to finish up my essay. Then, I realized the reason why I couldn't write well was that I wasn't used to writing. I thought I should incorporate writing in my daily life. In second semester, I started my own blog to improve my writing skill. Looking back to the early blog entries, I wrote something anyway but still made me stressful. Even when I wrote short posting like five sentences, it took 30 minutes or so. However, I can write freely without over thinking now. In addition, I enjoy writing my blog everyday, and it is my daily habit. I think I finally got used to it. :)  However, as we all know, learning English is not a miracle. Perseverance is the key, and we need to keep studying to improve little by little. The process is not easy and takes time, but it will be rewarding for sure. I hope my friend will get over it.






 Today's Vocabulary
・ perseverance : noun / 〔称賛すべき〕忍耐(力)、粘り強さ、根気(強さ) (Pronunciation is pə`ːrsəvi'ərəns)
  ex) Perseverance brings success. : 忍耐が成功をもたらす。

No comments:

Post a Comment