Monday, November 5, 2012

Summarizing an Article from Newspaper

I summarized an article of newspaper for my assignment today. Because of that, I chose three articles from O.C. Register and read them carefully yesterday. I don't usually read newspapers even though we are subscribing them. :(  Reading articles from newspaper was more difficult than I thought. I know my reading skill is not good enough, and I need to get used to it. I finally chose one article which was "How We Began Enjoying More by Indulging Less" by Katy McLaughlin. I learned many vocabulary from this article.

These are the vocabularies I learned this article.

pick up : phrasal verb / 好転する
  ex) His career picked up.

disposable income : 自由に使える収入
  ex) We had more disposable income.

indulge : verb / 甘やかす (pronunciation is indʌ'lʤ)
  ex) We began indulging ourselves.

porterhouse : noun / ボーターハウス◆アメリカでは、ショート・ロインの部位から取るTボーンのうち、テンダーロインが3分の1以上含まれる上質の肉を指す。
  ex) I had never made a New York strip steak or a porterhouse before I met him.

dawn on me that : ~と気が付く
  ex) It dawned on me that we'd become people who drank wine just about every evening.

mimic : verb / まねる
  ex) "It's Coors Light!" he said triumphantly, mimicking the commercial.

self-indulgence : noun / わがまま
  ex) Our self-indulgence gave me pause.

pause : noun / 中止

mourn : verb / 嘆く
  ex) Another part of me mourns the joy we used to take in rare treats those treasured bottles of wine we shared at our old.

distinctly : adverb / はっきりと、明瞭に
  ex) He actually used a distinctly more Uruguayan expression for that last part.

fired up : adjective / 興奮した
  ex) Fired up, when school started this fall, I imposed a TV-only-on-weekends rule.

impose : verb / 強いる

customarily : adverb / 習慣的に
  ex) He customarily puts on important soccer games.

volley : noun / 一斉射撃、一斉放射、〔質問などの〕連発
  ex) My last volley was a steak work stoppage.

stoppage : noun / 中止すること

heavy-handed : adjective / 手荒な
  ex) He found my new rules heavy-handed and unnecessary.

outraged : adjective / 憤慨した、激怒した
  ex) Our 4- and 6-year-old sons were outraged.

imposing : adjective / 印象的な、人目を引く、堂々とした、力強く立派な
  ex) Even I wondered if I was imposing austerity out of some misguided Puritanism or subconscious guilt.

austerity : noun / 厳格

puritanism : noun  / 清教徒の信仰

subconscious : adjective / 潜在意識の

fringe : adjective / 二次的な
  ex) We might have abandoned our new protocol if we hadn't noticed a fascinating fringe benefit.

chant : verb / (大声で)繰り返し言う
  ex) "Two more days until the Smurfs!" The boys chanted with joy.

obediently : adverb / 従順に
  ex) When Friday arrived, they were more than happy to take an early bath and obediently brush their teeth, then scamper to our bed for movie time.

scamper : verb / (ふざけて、または急いで)走る

sparse : verb / まばらな、薄い、希薄な、わずかな
  ex) Today, if I order wine at a restaurant, I ask the waiter to bring me a taste first, so I don't waste my sparse ration.

ration : noun / 〔食料・飲料・燃料などの〕割当量、配給(量)


Looking back when I was in 9th grade, my Japanese teacher gave us assignments which were summarizing articles from newspaper everyday during winter vacation. She told us we were able to improve Japanese skills by doing so, and it was for passing high school entrance exam which we would take place in the next three months. Now, I understand why my Japanese teacher imposed us to do it. I think summarizing articles from newspaper is a good idea to improve my reading and writing skills. Because they are formally well-written articles and are good education tools for learning new vocabulary. :) 





   Today's Vocabulary
・ take place :
  1. 〔事前に計画されたことが〕行われる、開催される
    ・The New York Fashion Show will take place in September. : ニューヨーク・ファッションショーは9月に開催されます。
    ・A ritual took place there. : そこである儀式が行われた。
  1. 〔災害・事故などが偶然に〕起こる
    ・The Great Kanto Earthquake took place in 1923. : 1923年に東京大震災が起きた。

No comments:

Post a Comment