Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Which Words Should You Capitalize?

I was sometimes unsure about capitalization rule for title. I have made a title of my blog entry everyday. I have already known that articles (the, a/ an), conjunctions (and, but, or, not), and preposition that are fewer than five letters long  (with, in, at, etc) shouldn't be capitalized. However, I was sometimes wondering, "Should be verbs be capitalized?" and "Should phrasal verbs be capitalized even though these look as same as preposition?" I finally found out that these answer! :)

All principal words need to be capitalize such as nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, and adverbs.
Be verbs such as be, is, are, was, and were need to be capitalized. Phrasal verbs are considered as verb, so these need to be capitalized as well. However, infinitive to should never be capitalized.



These were my blog titles that I made mistakes on. :P

incorrect) Assessment Test was Canceled
correct) Assessment Test Was Canceled

incorrect) They are Social Animal
correct) They Are Social Animal

incorrect) We are Going Traveling Tomorrow
correct) We Are Going Traveling Tomorrow

incorrect) I was Invited to My Friend's New House
correct) I Was Invited to My Friend's New House

incorrect) The Most Expensive Sponge I've ever Purchased
correct) The Most Expensive Sponge I've Ever Purchased
Because ever is adverb, it need to be capitalized.

incorrect) The Kitchen Sink was Clogged up
correct) The Kitchen Sink Was Clogged Up

incorrect) He Must Have been Tired
correct) He Must Have Been Tired

incorrect) The Flight Has been Canceled Again!
correct) The Flight Has Been Canceled Again!

incorrect) The Price was Increased more than I Expected
correct) The Price Was Increased More Than I Expected
Because more is adjective, it need to be capitalized.
Than is conjunction, but it is exception; thus, than need to be capitalized.

incorrect) What is Perfect for Gifts
correct) What Is Perfect for Gifts?

incorrect) Their Habitat is Here
correct) Their Habitat Is Here

incorrect) Difference between Former and Old
correct) Difference Between Former and Old
Because between is more than five letters long even thought it is preposition, it need to be capitalized.

incorrect) I Woke up at the Same Time As Usual
correct) I Woke Up at the Same Time As Usual
Because woke up is phrasal verb, it need to be capitalized.


I found many mistakes. These were mostly be verbs and phrasal verbs. I hope I won't make anymore mistakes about title. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment