Tuesday, January 1, 2013

My New Year's Day in Japan

Today is New Year's Day. Before eating New Year's dishes, we greeted each other in new year's manner. We ate osechi, which Japanese traditionally eat during New Year's Holiday.


Kohaku-namasu

Konbu-maki

Kuro-mame

Zoni (rice-cake soup)

After that, my parents-in-law, my husband and I went to my grandmother-in-law's grave.
scenery of Japanese countryside

scenery of Japanese countryside

We prayed for her spirit to rest in peace forever.

After that, we went to a restaurant for lunch. It was hard to find a restaurant today because most stores are usually closed during New Year's Holiday in Japan. We finally found a Japanese noodle and bowl restaurant. :)
a Japanese noodle and bowl restaurant

menu

menu

menu

My husband ordered large size beef noodle for 650yen, and I ordered seaweed noodle for 300yen. In addition, we ordered a grated yam bowl for 250yen. These were very reasonable and tasted very good!
large size beef noodle

seaweed noodle

a grated yam bowl

After that, I met my friends who were my high school's best friends. It had been three years since I met them, so I was very glad to meet them. We shared our old memories and caught up on recent news. While we enjoyed talking, we ate yakitori, okonomiyaki, and ochazuke at an izakaya. :) After that, we headed toward shrines for hatsumoude. I will write about that next time.
shrine

outdoor stands

No comments:

Post a Comment