Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Japanese Magazines

When my husband and I were traveling in Japan, we bought two Japanese magazines. It's because Japanese magazines in the U.S. are three times more expensive than ones in Japan. I can't afford to buy ones here even though I love reading Japanese fashion magazines. When I lived in Japan, I used to buy fashion magazines almost every month. Japanese fashion magazines are selling around $6 in Japan, and you can sometimes get a premium with the magazine, such as a combination pouch between the magazine and high-end brand, a reusable bag, a calender, an appointment book, skincare sample and so on. The contents of the magazine is also worth reading. Compared with U.S. fashion magazines, Japanese magazines have less advertisement, and they suggest many ways of fashion coordination and also teach about fashion and beauty. Last month, I bought a Japanese fashion magazine, AneCan, in Japan. I read it during the flight back to Los Angels. It took me 5 hours or so to finish reading it even though I didn't read every single page. It was the first time to buy AneCan, but I was really enjoyed!

I remember that I started reading fashion magazines when I was 13. At that time, I used to buy "non-no", which is for girls around the age of 18 to 22. Then, when I started working as a nurse at age 21, I started buying "MORE", which is for girls at age around 20 to 25. Then, when I was 25, I started buying "BAILA", which is for women age around at 25 to 30. This time I bought "AneCan", is a fashion magazine for women at age around 30.













What I like is that as I age, fashion models which I am familiar with also age. They have transfer on to the appropriate fashion magazine, so I have also shifted buying magazines following them. :) As I age, I read different fashion magazines which suits my age, but the models who I see on the magazines are same people. I have known them on magazines since they were teenagers. :)
Three years ago, I made many Taiwanese friends, and they told me that they love to read Japanese fashion magazines because they have access to Japanese magazines in Taiwan. They told me that some Japanese magazines in Taiwan were translated in Taiwanese, but they bought magazines in Japanese because they could understand what those were showing with its pictures. I didn't know Japanese magazines were selling in other countries. The last day of meeting with one of my Taiwanese friends, she gave away her Japanese magazine to me to prepare to go back Taiwan.


During my travel in Japan, my husband bought a magazine, Tarzan, which is health magazine. This is also my favorite magazine even though its target is mostly men. :)


I am not an avid reader of novels (I know I should be), but I really like reading fashion magazines. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment