Friday, March 1, 2013

My Car Battery Lasted for Seven Years

Today, I searched about the average life for car battery. I found the life-span of a car battery is 5 to 6 years nowadays, but the length of the life-span depends on how you use the battery. If you use your car battery well, your battery will last longer like 8 years or more.

In 2009, I bought an used car, which is a 2006 model, and yesterday was the first time to replace the battery. It comes out that the battery had been used for seven years. I thought it lasted longer. :)

Actually, I was planing on getting it replaced earlier to be safe, but I put it off again and again since I was busy. Last week, we accidentally left the light inside the car for two days. Right after I noticed about this, I also noticed it was taking extra time to start the ignition that morning. The battery warning light was on my dashboard even though it disappeared after about 10 seconds. From that day, it took extra time to start the ignition my car in morning although there was no problem at noon. It still remained through this week. That's why I needed to get a new battery as soon as I could. I really wanted to get the job done before my car battery was completely dead.
Yesterday, I bought my car battery $74.99 plus $9 for core fee, which is refundable upon the return of your old battery, at Costco. My husband replaced the old car battery with my new car battery last night. It took him for 20 minutes or so to replace it. My husband seriously told me, "Make sure not to take this old battery to Costco because it is too heavy." He knows how serious my back condition is. These days I haven't had any backache because I have been exercising everyday, but he knows that I can potentially strain my back if I carry heavy stuff. Nonetheless, I decided to take it to Costco and carried it into the tire center anyway. It was very very heavy just as my husband said. The tire center staff kindly told me, "You don't have to carry it here. If you asked, I could have helped you. Next time, ask us first." My backache was okay (Actually, I have a little backache now though.), but my arms got really tired. Anyway, I was able to refund the core fee. I will be scolded by my husband tonight. :P Because we are going to move out our current apartment tomorrow completely, I didn't want to leave any chores and wanted to get some cardboard boxes for moving at Costco while I was there.

2 comments:

  1. That is sweet of your husband to change the car battery for you and remind you not to lift heavy objects that would worsen your backache. =D But you still went and had the old battery refunded. =\ You really should have called the tire center first before going to their shop carrying the heavy battery.

    Rita McCall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I wasn't sure if I could ask for it at the time, but I will keep that in mind for next time. :)
      Thank you.

      Delete