Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Midterm In-class Essay Exam

   I took the midterm in-class essay exam this morning. I needed to read an article and write a summary and my opinion in 90 minutes. My teacher had told students before that the test would not be so difficult and that he would give shorter story than one he had handed out in class in order to make the exam easier.
   However, the article was long enough for me. I thought it was just as long as the one he had handed out. In the first 10 minutes, I just scanned the article and tried to find main idea and organized my thought what my essay would be. In the next 75 minutes, I wrote introduction with theses statement, its summary and my opinion with topic and conclusion sentences, and conclusion paragraph. In the last 5 minutes, I checked my essay to find and correct grammar mistakes. I tried to manage my time during the exam, but it was difficult to finish up writing the essay in 90 minutes. Even though I was able to finish it in time, I was not satisfied with my essay. The exam reminded me again the fact that my writing skill is not good enough, and I thought my writing level is far from the next writing class. I need to improve my writing speed and know more various expressions in English.
   After the exam, my teacher handed back our previous essay assignment, which I was working on last month. I was glad that my grade was pretty good, but there were many comments from my teacher on my essay. My writing class will remain one more month. Is it possible for me to improve my writing skill before the final in-class essay exam?

No comments:

Post a Comment