Friday, May 31, 2013

I Should Give Myself Credit for It!

    Yesterday, I checked my grade of my writing class and finally got an A!

     I always tried to do my best for arduous assignments during spring semester. One of my essays took me over 20 hours to finish writing it up. It's because it was very difficult to find connection between two stories and follow writing structure, and at the same time, I tried not to lose coherence in my essay. However, another essay assignment was not too hard for me because I read the novel as many time as I could and tried to thoroughly understand it. I wasn't good at reading English novel. That's why the assignment was very stressful, but I thought I finally overcame my difficulty. As I read the novel, I became interested in the story and could enjoy it! Before finishing, I hadn't noticed my improvement at all, and I had been asking myself why I took the class because unlike my classmates, I was not required to take it for my future career. However, now I was glad to have taken the class, and I think the class enabled me to improved my reading and writing skill. Nonetheless, I don't think I could do well on my in-class essay exam because it was difficult to come up with new ideas for the essay in limited time. My strong point for in-class essays was that I can type pretty fast. That's it! :)  Anyway, I should give myself credit for it!

      However, I am still not confident about my English. I don't know enough vocabularies and expression. Last year, I asked my former writing teacher, "Do you think the best way to improve writing skill is taking writing class? I think so because if I study it on my own, I might feel bored, and I can never find my own mistakes, or I might use weird expression forever... However, I sometimes think I can not take a writing class forever. I think I have to find the way of self-learning for writing. however, it is difficult to correct my own mistakes by self-learning." She answered, "Yes, learning on your own is absolutely more difficult usually, as an undergraduate (BA or BS) you still need explicit instruction you don't really start to teach yourself until graduate school." However, I can not linger at ESL school forever. How can I study for my English on my own from now on? I need to find way to study for it. There are tons of way to study English. I know taking ESL class is the best way to improve my English though. For an English learner as a second language, learning English is an endless process, so I need to keep up motivation for English study forever. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment