Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Turkish Coffee

     Last week, I visited my Turkish friend. She was always asking me to visit her house after Spring semester but I wanted to study at home as long as I could until my first NCLEX day. That's why after my exam, I asked her if I could go over to her house. When I went to her house, she told me that that day was the fasting duration due to her religion, Islam. She treated me very well at her house, but she didn't eat and drink at all. She told me that until 8 p.m., she was not allowed to eat anything. She told me that Turkish people serve coffee first, and then serve tea and pastries.

     She made Turkish coffee for me. It was my first time to drink Turkish coffee. She added some Turkish coffee powder into the pot and poured water into it. Then she placed it on stove-top until boiled.


Turkish Coffee
      The taste of this coffee was very different from coffee which I drink usually. It tasted powdery somehow. It reminded me soybean powder, but I like it.
     
     Then, she made Turkish tea. That was earl gray tea. I didn't know how to use these two pots. It was very interesting for me.


      She served some pastries which she made except for the cake. All of them were great! I was sorry for her that she was not allowed to eat them due to fasting. 



      After drinking coffee, she showed me that the cup could use as fortune telling. The leftover coffee became interesting picture on the cup. She told me that Turkish women do after having coffee.

      After that she served green tea for me. This leaves smelled very good. I forgot the name of these leaves though.


       Then, her daughter joined our meeting, and I talked with her while my friend was ironing. Her daughter is 15 years old now and spoke very fast. She has been in the U.S. since she was 1 year old. However, she can read, write and speak Turkish as well as her English. She told me that there are many Turkish schools in our city, and she used to study there every Saturday. I didn't know there are Turkish schools! She told me that I spoke English fluently. Because her speaking was very fast, I spoke English fast without realizing it.
       After I enjoyed talking, my friend invited me to come over to her house again. I promised that I would come back to her house after my second exam.


      My entries related to coffee can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/coffee

No comments:

Post a Comment