Friday, November 8, 2013

Macchan Mitsuse Farmer's Market in Saga, Japan - The Best Tofu Ever

     The day before leaving from Japan, my brother took me to Saga prefecture with my mother and sister. He told us that Macchan Mitsuse farmer's market in Saga serves the best tofu he has ever had, so he sometimes goes there with my parents. My sister had already known about their farmer's market and had been there before. In addition, their farmer's market has been on TV. Somehow the famers' market is pretty popular in Southern Japan. It took us about an hour to go there from my parents' home. It was drizzle that day, and we went there at 5 p.m. on Thursday. At that time, some stores were preparing to close already, so there were only a few customers. I heard that it is always very crowded on weekends. Their food court had a high ceiling, and wooden long tables and stump tree chairs made cozy impression.

      He treated us to their tofu meals. The handmade tofu fast food restaurant is the most popular place there.

     They serve some tofu menus and all of them are incredibly affordable. My brother recommended me to eat their deep fried tofu, which was 250 yen.


     We sit in chairs and were ready to eat.

     My mother chose dashi tofu, which was 350 yen. It was bigger than I was expecting. The tofu was very soft and silken.
Dashi Tofu 350 yen

     My deep fried tofu was also bigger than I was expecting. I was surprised that it was only 250 yen. They added red chili on top. It was gently spicy and very good.
Deep Fried Tofu 250 yen

       After I ate fried tofu, my brother asked me if I'd like to try their tofu croquette. The tofu croquette, which was 100 yen, tasted like potato croquette but softer. I loved it too. It was much bigger than a normal croquette, and it was the best and biggest croquette I have ever had.
Tofu Croquette

     The farmer's market was selling many fresh vegetable, fruit, sweets and so on. My sister bought some prepared foods for my father.



      On the way home, we stopped by a roadside station in Saga. My sister and I walked in the store and purchased some souvenir. She bought Ogi yokan, a famous Japanese sweets in Saga, for my husband. There was also a food court.
Roadside Station Yoshinogari

     My brother was putting some drinking water in his water pots. Because the roadside station is located on a fresh clean air mountain, water there is very tasty and popular. You can use their water when you brew coffee, or tea, and it makes it taste much better. Many people stopped by this roadside station to get some water and enjoy shopping there.

     If he hadn't taken me there, I wouldn't have known these places since I live in the U.S. We enjoyed a short family trip that day. Thanks, my brother. :)




Macchan Mitsuse Farmer's Market
246-1 Mitsusemurayuzuriha
Saga, Saga
842-0303 Japan



Roadside Station Yoshinogari
1710-11 Matsuguma
Kanzakigun Yoshinogaricho, Saga
842-0101 Japan




     This is also my entry you might like.
Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

No comments:

Post a Comment