Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Traditional Japanese Foods for the New Year's Eve and New Year's Day

    Last night, my husband cooked toshikoshi soba, which Japanese people traditionally eat on the New Year's Eve. Soba in Japanese also means that it's just around the corner, so people in Japan eat it because the next year is just around the corner! While eating it, I felt as if we were in Japan. The taste was great! :)
Toshikoshi Soba

      Before I woke up this morning, he cooked ozoni, which Japanese people also eat on New Year's Day. Ozoni contains mochi, which is rice cake, and vegetable. We thankfully got the mochi from his boss. :) When I was a child, my family used to make plenty of mochi from scratch at end of the year to prepare for the New Year. After my grandmother passed away, we don't make mochi anymore. However, I recall our annual event with a happy memory.
Ozoni


     He also made some rice balls for our road trip. :) We headed toward Las Vegas today. I'll write about our New Year's travel next time. We are in Las Vegas now. :)


      This is my entries related to my favorite recipe.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

      This is my entries related to cooking.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

No comments:

Post a Comment