Saturday, May 17, 2014

Going on a Day Trip to Santa Catalina Island - Part 1

     In January this year, I found the Groupon deal which was a $37 for a Round-Trip Boat Ride to Catalina Island on the Catalina Flyer. It was a very great deal since it usually costs $70 per ticket! My husband and I bought the tickets on Groupon in advance. We finally made a one-day trip to Santa Catalina Island on May 10.

     We arrived Newport Beach at 8 a.m. and parked at Balboa Pier Municipal Parking Lot. It cost $15 for a day parking.

Balboa Pier Municipal Parking Lot
701 E Oceanfront
Newport Beach, CA 92661

Then, we headed toward Balboa Pavilion to check in. We paid extra tax for $12 there. Many people were waiting in long lines for the Catalina Flyer 9 a.m. departure. The ferry departed almost on time.

Balboa Pavilion
400 Main St
Newport Beach, CA 92661

Newport Beach


West Jetty

       We sat on the seat at the third floor outside. Due to heavy cool sea breeze, it was very cold as I expected. I put on an extra outerwear and a scarf to keep myself warm. Rough waves made the boat rock very hard, and some people got motion sickness and ended up being vomiting during the traveling. The crew told them the lower floor outside was the best to prevent seasickness. Last 30 minutes of the traveling, I felt a little nauseous and kept standing on the ferry for a while.

Santa Catalina Island


Santa Catalina Island



Santa Catalina Island


California Sea Lion


Avalon Bay


Avalon Bay


     As soon as we got off the ferry, we were able to see bright orange fish, Garibaldi, the official marine state fish of California.



      First, we took a walk on the island for a while. I'll write about it next time.


     Today, I updated my Youtube video which I recorded that day.


           These are my entries related to our day trip on Santa Catalina Island.

Going on a Day Trip to Santa Catalina Island - Part 1
 
 
 
 
 




     My entries related to Los Angeles can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Los%20Angeles







No comments:

Post a Comment