Thursday, June 19, 2014

How to Make Tamago Kake Gohan - Raw Egg on Rice

     When I was living in Japan, I used to eat tamago kake gohan, raw egg on rice, sometimes. You may think it's insane, but people in Japan have been eating tamago kake gohan for over a hundred year. Unlike Japan, eating raw egg is never acceptable for people in most countries because raw egg might be contaminated with salmonella. However, most Japanese people have been eating all their life with no problems. Because Japanese people eat raw egg, those are sold on the premise of being consumed raw in Japan. That's why egg producers make eggs perfect cleaning before marketing those. If you are outside Japan, you'd better think twice about the risk though. To be honest, I bought eggs at Japanese supermarket in the U.S., and I made and ate tamago kake gohan with no problem a few times.

       Anyway, while I was flying to Japan from Hawaii, I watched the Hawaiian Airline's video which was introducing many authentic Japanese foods, such as tamago kake gohan and sukiyaki. In that video, the Japanese food chef, whose mother is a immigrant from Japan, was inspired Japanese foods by his mother. When he was making tamago kake gohan, I thought that I had to eat tamago kake gohan in Japan! Tamago kake gohan is very easy to make, and it's perfect for breakfast. The combination of tastes of a fresh raw egg and soy sauce is perfect! During staying in Japan for a month, I made tamago kake gohan five times or so. :) I'm going share with you how to make tamago kake gohan with you.



Ingredients

One fresh egg
One serving of cooked rice
Two tablespoons of soy sauce
How to Make Tamago Kake Gohan / Raw Egg on Rice

     1. Put a raw egg and soy sauce into a small bowl. Then, mix the egg and soy sauce together thoroughly.
How to Make Tamago Kake Gohan / Raw Egg on Rice

     2. Make a hollow in the center of the rice. Then, pour the mixture into a hollow, and stir the mixture into the rice.

Tamago Kake Gohan / Raw Egg on Rice
     3. It's optional, but I love tamago kake gohan with a pickled plum. :)
     4. Enjoy!

      By the way, while I was taking these pictures and filming video in Japan, my mother was really surprised at me. Haha! It's because making tamago kake gohan is nothing special for Japanese people. It's like taking picture to share how to make a toast or something like that.


     I uploaded my Youtube video to share how to make tamago kake gohan with you.



      My entries related Japan can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan

     This is my cooking entries.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

    This is my entries related to my favorite recipes.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes


      These are my entries you might like.

8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!







■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■The Best Japanese Shampoo & Conditioner

■Top 5 Japanese Sunscreen Products



No comments:

Post a Comment