Saturday, October 25, 2014

What He Got at Supermarket in Japan - Haul

       While my husband was on business trip in Japan this month, he bought some products at a supermarket. Most products are also available here in the U.S., but those are obviously more expensive than ones in Japan. That's why when we have a chance to visit Japan, we buy some products at supermarket. I'm going to share what he got there with you.
What He Got at Supermarket in Japan - Haul


       These are Japanese pickles. When I lived with my parents in Japan, I ate Japanese pickles every day.



      He bought two packs of Fukujinzuke, which is Japanese pickles used as a relish for Japanese curry.
Fukujinzuke
       He bought Kyu-chan, which is the one of the most famous pickle products in Japan. This is made of cucumbers, which is called kyuri in Japanese. I think that this was named Kyu-chan because of kyuri.
Kyu-chan

     This pickles is perfect with rice. :) Specifically, this package recommends to have them with tamagokake gohan, raw egg on rice.

Kyu-chan

       According to the package, the famous Japanese restaurant in Tokyo makes tamago kake gohan with Kyu-chan, and it has the recipe. Eating raw egg is a little risky outside of Japan because raw egg might be contaminated with salmonella. Next time I visit Japan, I should try this recipe.
Kyu-chan


       He bought this pickle, is called menma in Japan. This is made of bamboo shoots. Menma is perfect with ramen!
Menma


Menma

       He bought these tubed Japanese spices.
Japanese Spices

        This is tubed fresh grated ginger, which is perfect with tofu.

Fresh Grated Ginger

Fresh Grated Ginger



      These are tubed fresh grated wasabi. These are perfect with sashimi.
Fresh Grated Wasabi


       He bought sauce for okonomiyaki, which is a Japanese savoury pancake containing a variety of ingredients.
Okonomi Sauce


        He bought two packages of instant miso soup, Asage. We often eat miso soup and Asage is our favorite product of instant miso soup. These are very easy to make. All I need to do is that just mix it and hot water. :)

Instant Miso Soup

      This is Maru-chan Seimen, Japanese instant noodle. I have tried some flavors of this products such as curry udon, miso ramen, tonkotsu ramen, shio ramen and figured out that curry udon flavor is the best. All flavors of this product are super good though.
Maru-chan Seimen Curry Udon


Maru-chan Seimen Curry Udon

       I had requested my husband to buy some Japanese coffee. These two brands, Key Coffee and UCC, are very famous coffee manufacture in Japan.

Japanese Coffee

Key Coffee

Key Coffee

       I didn't realized that Japanese coffee is very unique until I moved to the U.S.  I have never seen such a unique packed coffee like this at supermarkets in the U.S. That's why I decided to write about this on my blog and asked him to buy some. I will write about it next time. :)
Key Coffee


UCC Coffee


      My Japan entries can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan


      My entries related to coffee can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/coffee


     This is also my entry you might like.
Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods


1 comment:

  1. Really great selection, especially the pickles and coffee! I look forward to your coffee post :)

    ReplyDelete