Wednesday, June 17, 2015

My Current Favorite Food - Peanut Butter

      I am really into peanut butter now. As you might know, peanut butter is known as one of the superfoods. According to Wikipedia, Peanut butter is an excellent source (> 19% of the Daily Value, DV) of protein, dietary fiber, vitamin E, pantothenic acid, niacin and vitamin B6 (table, USDA National Nutrient Database). Also high in content are the dietary minerals manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, zinc and copper (table). Peanut butter is a good source (10–19% DV) of thiamin, iron and potassium (table). I used to purchase Skippy, whose ingredients are roasted peanuts, sugar, hydrogenated vegetable oil, etc. When I went to Trader Joe's, I found that their peanut butters were made of peanuts and salt only. I was surprised and wondered how they can make peanut butter with two simple ingredients! These days, I have gone to Whole Foods to purchase freshly roasted coffee beans weekly, and I purchased these two peanut butters last month. These were also made of peanuts and salt just like Trader Joe's one.
Whole Foods 365 Peanut Butter

      Last week, I found that you can purchase peanut butter in the bulk section at Whole Foods! You can grind your own peanut butter there.
Nut Grinders at Whole Foods


Peanut Grinder at Whole Foods

   I was surprised that roasted peanuts actually turned out peanut butter! This freshly ground peanut butter was only $4.99 per pound.

      Then, my husband and I went to Sprouts to purchase almond butter because it was on sale for $5.99 per 14 oz cup. It is usually over $10. After looking around the store, we finally found ones. We have never tried almond butter before, so we didn't know how it tastes.
Sprout Almond Butter
      We tasted both butters. My husband prefers almond butter to peanut butter. It has rich roasted almond flavor. I prefer peanut butter. :) This Whole Foods Honey Roasted Peanut Butter has slightly sweet taste.
Sprout Roasted Salted Creamy Almond Butter & Whole Foods Fresh Grind Honey Roasted Peanut Butter

        Now, I have two excuses to go to Whole Foods. :) I want to get really freshly roasted coffee beans and grind my own peanut butter there.


        My entries related to Whole Foods can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Whole%20Foods


No comments:

Post a Comment