Monday, February 8, 2016

The Year of Monkey

       Today is the day of 2016 Chinese New Year. This year is the year of monkey. :) Japan usually does not celebrate lunar Chinese New Year, but Chinese zodiac, which is called eto (干支) in Japanese, is important. It's custom that many people in Japan send New Year's cards, which is called nengajyo (年賀状), to friends, families and business associates. Many New Year's cards have illustration of the animal of the year in them.
      When my husband and I visited Japan for his brother-in-law's wedding reception, one of his relatives gave us these Japanese juggling beanbags of 12 eto animals. Since then, I have decorated these in our living room during New Year's Days. Every year, these remind me of what the year of eto is. :)

       Happy Lunar New Year! :)

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan

No comments:

Post a Comment