Friday, April 29, 2016

A Package from My Mother-In-Law in Japan

     Yesterday, my husband and I received this package from my mother-in-law who lives in Japan. She has periodically sent Japanese foods from Japan since we moved to the U.S. 8 years ago. Today, I'm going to share with you what she sent for us.

A Package from Japan

       This is takanazuke (たかな漬/高菜漬け), Japanese mustard leaf pickles. Because my hometown is Fukuoka, where is famous for takanazuke in Japan, my late grandmother used to make one from scratch when I was child. Her homemade takanazuke was always in my kitchen back then. I really loved her savory takanazuke. :)  When I visited my mother-in-law in Japan two years ago, I told her that how much I love takanazuke. Since then, she has always put takanazuke in her package for us. I'll cook takanazuke soon. You can check out my previous entry, How to Prepare Takanazuke, Japanese Mustard Leaf Pickles.
Tkanazuke

     This is Nissin Chicken Ramen, instant ramen noodles. This instant ramen doesn't need to be cooked on a stove. Just place the noodles in bowl, and add hot water. Cover the lid (or a plate) and wait for 3 minutes. It's very easy and simple. This has been one of my favorite Japanese instant noodles since I was child. According to Wikipedia, Nissin Chikin Ramen (日清チキンラーメン) is a noodle brand and the first marketed brand of Japanese instant noodles produced by Nissin Foods since 1958.
Nissin Chicken Ramen
       This is Shiokonbu (塩こんぶ), salted dried kelp. This is perfect for seasoning of rice balls and making Japanese pickles. 
Kurakon Shiokonbu
      This is Mitsukan Omusubi Yama (ミツカン おむすび山), seasoning for rice ball. Specifically, this is sakura mochi flavor (桜もち風味), which is spring limited edition. Sakura means cherry blossom in Japanese. I have tried so many Omusubi Yama series but never tried sakura mochi flavor before! The photo looks like sekihan (赤飯), steamed sticky rice with adzuki beans, though.
Mitsukan Omusubi Yama

     My mother-in-law often adds this nori, dried laver, for rice ball in her package.
Nori
       This is tsukudani furikake, seasoning for steamed rice. This is made of bonito flakes and sea lettuce.
Tukudani Furikake
     This is Fueru Wakame Chan (ふえるわかめちゃん), dried seaweeds. Fueru (ふえる) means growing or increasing in Japanese, so the dried seaweed becomes bigger by soaking water. I'll use this wakame for making miso soup.
Fueru Wakame Chan

    This is a pack of kokuto ame (黒糖飴). Kokuto (黒糖) means unrefined brown sugar in Japanese, and ame (飴/あめ) means a candy. Kokutou candies are my husband and my father-in-law's favorite candies. :)
Kokuto Ame
    These are yokan (ようかん/羊羹), Japanese traditional sweets made of red beans.  These are also my husband's all-time favorite sweets.
Yokan
    This is Fukutarou Menbei, mentaiko flavored Japanese cracker. Fukutarou is one of the most famous mentaiko manufacture. Because Fukuoka is also famous for mentaiko, it reminds me of my hometown. 
Fukutarou Menbei
    This is a pack of high-fiber cookies. The cookies were made of oat bran.

      This time, she sent this adorable owl basket. :) 




       These are also my entries you might like.

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets


      This is my entries related to my favorite recipes.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/recipes

      This is my entries related to cooking.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/cooking

     My entries related to Japan can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Japan


No comments:

Post a Comment