Tuesday, March 14, 2017

San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine

      As I mentioned in my previous entry, after walking around San Diego Creek in Newport Beach, my husband and I went to San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary in Irvine to watch wild birds. Unlike previous years, it rained a lot in California this winter. That's why the ponds were filled with a plenty of water, and there were many kinds of birds in the ponds. :) Around the first pond, we saw many people taking pictures with very big telephoto lens. I took pictures with my camera, Canon PowerShot SX50 HS there.


Black-Necked Stilt

American Coots


White-Faced Ibis


Tree Swallows
      I often see some Mallard Ducks around the man-made pond in my condominium as well. :)
Mallard Duck





     When I found these white birds I was very excited because it was my first time to see American White Pelicans! We've found many Brown Pelicans around beaches in Southern California, but I had never seen American White Pelicans before, and I really wanted to see ones for many years. I told my husband, "They are American White Pelicans I wanted to see for a long time!" However, he didn't recognize difference between Brown Pelicans and American White Pelicans. I had explained about it with using a guide book, Birds of Southern California, before, but he totally forgot about it.
American White Pelicans
American White Pelicans and Cormorants

American White Pelican

American White Pelican

Double-Crested Cormorant

Black-Chinned Hummingbird

Mallard Ducks

     At another pond, we found more of American White Pelicans. 
American White Pelicans
        While watching birds from far distance, suddenly a flock of white birds swimming toward showed up.
American White Pelicans
       I probably saw more than 100 of American White Pelicans at a time!
American White Pelicans





     Since we purchased our home last summer, we have been working very hard on renovating our home every weekend, so we didn't have time to see wildlife for eight months. We were able to enjoy taking a walk and watching wild animals that day. :)  (We were supposed to work on filing our 2016 Tax return that day though.)


 I uploaded this video, which I took with my Canon PowerShot SX50 HS.



San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary
5 Riparian View
Irvine, CA 92616


     Then, we headed toward Woodbridge North Lake to watch more birds. :)




These are my entries you might like.

■The Photos Taken with Canon EOS Rebel SL1

■Walking at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (June 2016)

■Walking Around Woodbridge North Lake

■Bird Watching at San Joaquin Wildlife Sanctuary (March 2015)


       My entries related to Orange County Hikes can be seen here.

       My entries related to wild animals can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/wild%20animals

       My entries related to Irvine can be seen here.
http://itisapieceofcake2011.blogspot.com/search/label/Irvine



No comments:

Post a Comment