Friday, April 21, 2017

How to Cook Chikuzenni, Japanese Simmered Chicken and Vegetables

    This week, I cooked chikuzenni, which is one of traditional local cuisine in Fukuoka, which is my hometown in Japan. When I lived in Fukuoka, my grandmother used to cook chikuzenni for dinner, and I really loved it. Chikuzenni (筑前煮) is also eaten on special occasion such as New Year's Days in Japan. Today, I'm going to share how to cook chikuzenni with you.

 Ingredients  
1 pound of chicken (cut the meat into bite size )

1 tablespoon soy sauce and 1 tablespoon mirin (marinate the chicken with this)
1/2 pound of konnyaku (cut it into a bite size)
1/2 pound of carrot (cut the carrot into a bite size)
1/2 pound of burdock roots (peel with back of the knife and cut into bite size portion. Then soak them into water)
1/2 pound of frozen sliced lotus roots (cut sliced lotus roots into half size)
1/2 pound of frozen satoimo

4 fl oz of water
1 tablespoon hondashi
3 tablespoons cooking sake
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon mirin
2 tablespoons soy sauce



     




Prepare : 
Marinate chicken with soy sauce and mirin.


Cut konnyaku into a bite size with using a tablespoon.

 Cut all vegetables into a bite size. This time, I used a pack of mixed wafu vegetables, which were already cut.


    I used this frozen peeled satoimo.
Frozen Satoimo

Frozen Satoimo





How to Cook :

1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker over high heat. Stir-fry meat and vegetables for 5 minutes.


2. Add water, hondashi, cooking sake, sugar, mirin and soy sauce, and stir them. Cover the lid. When it the pot is fully with pressure, reduce heat to low and simmer for 4 minutes. Then, turn off the heat. Wait until it naturally deflates completely.


 3. Serve and enjoy!


    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.



       These are also my entries you might like.

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew

■How to Cook Soboro Don, Japanese Scrambled Meat And Egg Bowl

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just wanted to drop a hello and let you know that I just recently went to Japan for my first time. While I was there, I was able to get my hands on quite a few beauty products that you've talked about on your blog, and am quite pleased! Thank you for all the time and effort that you put into these blogs. I will be trying some of your recipes now, and look forward to many more blog posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Congratulation on your first travel to Japan! I'm really glad that you got the best beauty products there. Thank you for your comment. :)

      Delete