Wednesday, May 10, 2017

How to Cook Teriyaki Chicken with Ama Koji

        This week, I cooked this teriyaki chicken with ama koji. :)  
      Shio koji (塩麹, しおこうじ) and ama koji (甘麹, あまこうじ) have been popular seasoning in Japan these years. Actually, koji (麹, こうじ) is a traditional Japanese fermented ingredient which is used to make variety of foods such as miso, soy sauce and Japanese alcohol. I remembered that my grandmother used to use koji to make homemade miso paste from scratch when I was a child in Japan. Now, most people in Japan don't make homemade miso anymore because miso is very affordable, so it's easier to purchase commercial miso paste at supermarkets. However, people see koji in a new light. Koji is a high nutrient food which contains essential amino acids, vitamin B, folic acid and etc. Moreover, shio koji and ama koji are very useful ingredients that make meat tender and create natural umami flavor. Shio koji can be used a substitute for salt, and ama koji can be used a substitute for sugar.

     I purchased this small pack of ama koji at Japanese supermarket. Actually, I purchased shio koji as well. I used both and really loved them. :) This week, I cooked this teriyaki chicken with ama koji. It turned out very delicious! The chicken was tender and had umami flavor. :) Today, I'm going to share with you how to cook teriyaki chicen with ama koji. :) 

Fresh Ama Koji

Ingredients (4 Servings)
6 Tablespoons of Ama Koji
4 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 lb of Chicken Thigh

Fresh Ama Koji


1. Mix ama koji and soy sauce.
 


2.  Marinate chicken with the mixture for 10 minutes or so.


3.  Heat oil in a pan over medium heat, and put chicken into the pan.

    Keep the mixture in order to use it at step 6.


4. Cover the lid and cook it for 5 minutes. Then, flip chicken and cook it for another 5 minutes.


 5. Remove excess oil with paper towel.


6. Add the mixture. Cook it over high heat. When the water has evaporated and the sauce has thickened, turn off the heat.


7. Serve and enjoy.


    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.




       These are also my entries you might like.

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew

■How to Cook Soboro Don, Japanese Scrambled Meat And Egg Bowl





No comments:

Post a Comment