Saturday, June 17, 2017

Satsuma Age

     Today, my husband and I ordered this set of satsuma age from Amazon Japan for my father-in-law.
Satsuma Age
        Have you ever heard of satsuma age? Satsuma age (薩摩揚げ) is a deep-fried fishcake, made from ground fish, flour and etc. Satsuma (薩摩) means western Kagoshima, Japan, so satsuma age originated in Kagoshima prefecture.
     When my husband was a teen, he had a part-time job at a souvenir shop in a rest area on highway in Fukuoka prefecture. He sometimes deep-fried many kinds of satsuma age and sold them there. Freshly deep-fried satsuma age was so delicious and one of the best-selling snacks at the souvenir shop. He told me, "I couldn't believe that I could eat so many samples of delicious satsuma age back then!" :) 

    We purchased the set of satsuma age made by Maruju. Their satsuma age is made from tofu and ground fish.


      We hope his parents will like them. :)

      You can find satsuma age at supermarkets and department stores in Japan. Freshly deep-fried satsuma age is so delicious, so if you are planning on visiting Japan, you should try one there. :)  By the way, the food section in a department store basement is called depa chika (デパ地下) in Japan. You can find a diverse selection of the highest quality foods at depa chika such as high-end Japanese confectionery, sushi from famous restaurants and etc. I think that depa chika is one of the must go to places in Japan. :) 



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.




       These are also my entries you might like.

■Most Popular Japanese Foods (Top 11 - 20)

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew

■How to Cook Soboro Don, Japanese Scrambled Meat And Egg Bowl

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken

No comments:

Post a Comment