Friday, July 21, 2017

How to Cook Oyakodon, Japanese Chicken and Egg Bowl

      Tonight, I cooked oyakodon (親子丼), Japanese chicken and egg bowl. Oyako (親子) means parents and children in Japanese. Don (丼) means Japanese rice bowl dish. Because chickens and eggs are parents and children, it's called oyakodon in Japan. Today, I'm going to share how to cook oyakodon with you. 
     Ideally, you should cook one serving of oyakodon in a shallow oyakodon pan at a time, but I'm too lazy to make one by one, so I usually cook all in a regular pan. ;)

Ingredients (3 Servings)
1 Onion (Sliced)
2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Mirin
1 Tablespoon of Sake
1 Tablespoon of Sugar
1 Teaspoon of Hondashi
100 ml (3.3 fl oz) of Water
1 lb of Chicken Thigh (Cut into Bite Sizes)
4 Eggs (Beaten)
2 Tablespoons of Chopped Green Onions (Optional)
Shichimi Pepper (Optional)


1. Put onion, soy sauce, mirin, sake, sugar, hondashi and water into a pan. Bring to a boil. Simmer it over high heat for 2 minutes.


2. Add Chicken. Cover the lid and simmer it for 4 minutes.


3. Pour 2/3 of eggs into it. Cover the lid and simmer it over low heat for 2 minutes. 



4. Add the rest of the eggs. Cover the lid and simmer it over high heat for 10 seconds. Ideally, eggs are not fully cooked. 


5. Serve steamed rice in a large bowl. 

Then, serve it over rice. Top it with green onion and sprinkle shichimi pepper over it. Enjoy! 


       These are also my entries you might like.
■How to Cook Soboro Don, Japanese Scrambled Meat And Egg Bowl

■How to Make Tamago Kake Gohan - Raw Egg on Rice

■Top 5 Most Popular Japanese Curry Sauce Mix

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew
 
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets


    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment