Monday, July 17, 2017

How to Cook Saba no Misoni - Simmered Mackerel in Miso Sauce

      This weekend, my husband purchased mackerels at Japanese supermarkets, and he cooked this saba no misoni for dinner. Saba no misoni (サバの味噌煮, 鯖の味噌煮) is one of famous Japanese fish dishes. It is simmered mackerels in miso, sugar, sake and etc. By simmering mackerels rich miso sauce, the smell of fish disappears, and it turns out very delicious dish which is perfect with freshly steamed rice. :)

     This time, he used ama koji (甘麹) as substitute for sugar. As I mentioned in my previous entry, How to Cook Teriyaki Chicken with Ama Koji, koji (麹) is a high nutrient food which contains essential amino acids, vitamin B, folic acid and etc. Moreover, shio koji and ama koji are very useful ingredients that make meat and fish tender and create natural umami flavor.
     I'm going to share how to cook simmered mackerel in miso sauce with you.

Ingredients (2 Servings)
2 Servings of Cut Mackerel (4 Pieces)
2 Tablespoons of Ama Koji (or Sugar)
2 Tablespoons of Soy Sauce
2 Tablespoons of Sake
5 fl oz (150ml) of Water
1 Teaspoon of Grated Ginger
3 Tablespoons of Miso


1. Soak mackerel in a boiling water for 10 seconds.

2. Heat ama koji, soy sauce, sake and water in a pan over medium high heat. When it begins to boil, add mackerels and ginger in it.

3. Simmer mackerels. Repeatedly, scoop the sauce from the pan and pour it over mackerels for a minute. Then, place otoshi buta (おとし蓋, Japanese style drop-lid) or aluminum foil over mackerels and simmer the mackerels for 4 minutes.

4. Remove the otoshi buta. Add miso and stir to dissolve miso completely.

5. Repeatedly, scoop the miso sauce from the pan and pour it over mackerels for a minute.

6. Serve and enjoy!
Saba no Misoni


       These are also my entries you might like.
■How to Cook Teriyaki Chicken with Ama Koji 

■Top 5 Most Popular Japanese Curry Sauce Mix

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew
 
■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■What He Got at Drugstore in Japan - Haul

■Hiyashi Chuka, Japanese Summer Cold Noodles 

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.


No comments:

Post a Comment