Tuesday, August 15, 2017

How to Cook Tori Meshi - Savory Japanese Rice with Chicken and Gobo

     I purchased gobo, Japanese burdock roots, at an Asian supermarket. Gobo is savory vegetable and has been commonly eaten in Japan. I remembered that many years ago, I watched Japanese TV show that Yoshinori Nagumo (南雲 吉則), a Japanese physician, was sharing his experience of his anti-aging diet. He looked like 30s, but his actual age was 50s at that time. He said that he has been eating gobo on a daily basis because it is a superfood that is high in fiber and polyphenol, so it can detox your body. He recommended to add gobo into your diet and drink gobo tea instead of coffee. Now, gobo tea is known as anti-aging tea in the U.S.  Nonetheless, I don't drink gobo tea because I am a coffee lover, but I really love gobo dishes! :) I love chickuzenni, okowa, gobo tempura, gobo miso soup and etc. I also loved gobo rice crackers my mother-in-law sent from Japan.

      Today, I cooked tori meshi (鶏飯, 鶏めし), savory Japanese rice with chicken and gobo. This time, I used a food processor to shred gobo for my first time just like I did it for carrots previously. Wow! It was super easy! It only took me 10 seconds to shred one long gobo! Why didn't I use my food processor this way? I can cook more gobo dish easily from now on. :) 

      I cooked a large amount of tori meshi and made so many rice balls with extra tori meshi, so I can keep them in freezer and enjoy them later.  Anyway, I'm going to share how to cook tori meshi with you.



Ingredients (18 Servings)
8 Go of White Rice *1 Go means one Japanese rice measuring cup (180ml) of rice.
1400ml (47 fl oz) of Water 
2 Tablespoons of Oil
2 Lb of Chicken Thigh (Cut into 1/2 Sizes)
1 Gobo (Shredded) 
6 Gloves of Garlic (Minced)
4 Tablespoons of Sugar
100ml (3.3 fl oz) f Soy Sauce
50ml (1.6 fl oz) of Sake

Gobo, Burdock Roots



 1. Rinse rice. Put rice and water in a large cast iron pan. Cover the lid. Bring to a boil. Then, simmer it for 15 minutes over medium low heat. Turn off the heat, and wait for another 15 minutes to steam the rice.




2. Heat oil in a large pan over high heat. Stir-fry chicken and gobo for 3 minutes or so. 





3. Add garlic, sugar, soy sauce and sake. Simmer it over medium heat until liquid is reduced.





4. Evenly, place the simmered chicken and gobo over freshly cooked rice. Cover the lid and wait for 15 minutes.





5. Gently, combine steamed rice and simmered chicken and gobo with a rice paddle.




6. Serve and enjoy!




      These are also my entries you might like.
■How to Cook Chikuzenni, Japanese Simmered Chicken and Vegetables

■What I Bought at Japanese Supermarkets

■Top 10 Products You Should Buy at Japanese Supermarkets (for Beginners!)

■Don Quijote (Donki) Haul - What He Got in Japan

■8 Interesting Japanese Kitchen Gadgets!

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Snacks

■My Top 10 Favorite Japanese Sweets

■Top 10 Most Popular Japanese Foods 

■My Top 15 Must Eat Foods in Japan - My Favorite Japanese Foods

■How to Make Japanese Deep Fried Chicken, Kara-Age

■How to Cook Japanese Curry

■How to Cook Miso Soup

■How to Cook Japanese White Cream Stew

■How to Cook Soboro Don, Japanese Scrambled Meat And Egg Bowl

■How to Cook Easy Teriyaki Chicken



    My entries related to cooking can be seen here.

    My entries related to my favorite recipes can be seen here.

    My entries related to foods my husband cooked can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese instant ramen can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japanese noodles can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan Haul can be seen here.
 

    My entries related to Best Japanese Beauty Products can be seen here.

    My entries related to Japan can be seen here.



No comments:

Post a Comment